Oral surgeon bowie, md
- The preparation of your mouth before the placement of a prosthesis is referred to as pre-prosthetic surgery.
- Some patients require minor oral surgical procedures before receiving a partial or complete denture, in order to ensure the maximum level of comfort. A denture sits on the bone ridge, so it is very important that the bone is the proper shape and size. If a tooth needs to be extracted, the underlying bone might be left sharp and uneven. For the best fit of a denture, the bone might need to be smoothed out or reshaped. Occasionally, excess bone would need to be removed prior to denture insertion.
One or more of the following procedures might need to be performed in order to prepare your mouth for a denture:
- Bone smoothing and reshaping
- Removal of excess bone
- Bone ridge reduction
- Removal of excess gum tissue
- Exposure of impacted teeth
We will review your particular needs with you during your appointment.